History

 Ledurga

Civil parish area – 162.7 km2, agricultural land – 4887.3 ha (30%), forests – 5875.5 ha (36.1%), bogs – 4217.6 ha (25.9%), other land – 1288.6 ha (7.9%). Distance to Limbazi 25 km, to Riga – 65 km, to Cesis – 35 km, to Sigulda – 25 km.

History

Ledurga county or, in the Chronicle of Indrikis, Ledurga parish (Latin: Lethegore) was the county of Livu land of ancient Gauja near the land border of Metsepole (now Krimuldas county). Due to Gauja Livu land-sharing Ledurga county is not mentioned as an independent entity, therefore it is believed that it was in the isolated, by Bishop Albert of Livonia, part of Turaida land.

In the text of Chronicle of Indrikis, for the first time was called, due to 1211th spring events, Ridaliesi and Samsaliesi devastated Livu lands subjected by Bishop Albert, including Ledurga. Also in 1223rd spring Sakaliesi and Estonians together with Russians after pillaging the Livonian lands met in Ledurga and went back to the north. They were defeated in battle at Ureles by Talava warlord Ramekis and the Vilandes Russian garrison Lord Varemars was killed.

August Bielenstein already in 1892nd suggested that place name of Ledurga comes from Livu words led (“leaf”) and urga (“small stream” or “lowland with running water”), from the verb urg (“flow”, “run”).

Ledurga was located between Metsepole, Idumeja and Turaida, through it curled the trade route that connected Livu counties of Turaida and Metsepole. There also were found cash deposits (Mugurevics, 1965). Tenisons suggested that Ledurga county stretched up to the debouchment of Ages river into the sea (Tõnisson, 1974). So in nowadays Saulkrasti county would belong to Ledurga. However, it is in doubt because Ledurga parish in medieval maps had no access to the sea.

 

Ledurga surroundings are really rich with the waters – through the territory flows Braslas and Ages rivers, there are many lakes: Aijazu, Salas, Melnezers, Auniskalna, Melnais, Ages, Knideru mill and Ledurga mill lake. At that time in Ledurga lived Livi which belonged to the tribes of Fenno-Ugrian people who then also gave a number of primary place names, many of which survived to the present day. Ledurga in the past belonged to the Turaida county and was an important center between Metsepole and Turaida. From the 13th century up to 19th century thirties Ledurga was in one parish with Turaida. The current church in Ledurga was built from 1767 – 1772 year, and these numbers are inscribed in its foundation-stone. In Ledurga church as a pastor served Garlieb Merkel's father Daniel Merkel.

Ledurga school was founded in the 1871. The first teacher in primary school was Julijs Vistucis, also known as a writer with the pseudonym Aginieks, buried in an Upeskalnu cemetery. Honoring the and memory of enlightenment idea promulgator Garlieb Merkel and contribution of his family, in 1998, in July Ledurga school was bestowed a title – Ledurga Garlieb Merkel Elementary School.

In 1871, a singing society of Ledurga was made what was attended by singers from the surrounding civil parishes. The members of singing society and other activists, in 1902, founded the social association of Ledurga, to what, in 1913, library was established. From this time citizens of Ledurga has library services.

 

Countrymen

Garlieb Merkel (1769 – 1850) – Enlightenment and writer (in 2003, monument established at the church);

Julijs Lacis (1892 – 1941) – Journalist, writer and public figure;

Martins Liepa (1874 – 1953) – writer, journalist;

Valda Mora (1902 – 2001) – a poet;

Julijs Vistucis-Aginieks (1839 – 1909) – teacher, journalist;

Paula Baltabola (1891 – 1978) – actress;

Eduards Brems (1802 – 1879) – first doctor;

Hugo Legzdiņs (1903 – 2004) – sailor, the commander of submarine “Seal”, a writer.

Nowadays

Ledurga currently is located in Krimulda County (previously was in Saulkrasti, Sigulda, Riga, Limbazi region). In the civil parish live approximately 1600 people. In the civil parish is developed logging and timber processing, organic farming, confectionery and agricultural production, processing and trade, tourism.

In civil parish, in 1994, a decision on ensuring continuous education to the population for life was made. There are: kindergarten, elementary school, art school, folk high school, and recreation centre with nine amateur teams, Ledurga and Atmoda library, sports hall, open-air stage. Citizens can engage in three non-governmental organizations, “Sirdsdegsme+”, “Kamolitis”, “Piladzitis”.

In the future development of civil parish must focus development of on educated, creative, willing to operate and active new generation what would develop future-oriented business, study and preserve the natural and cultural heritage and build new traditions.

In 2009, the restoration of open-air stage was started, it will provide an opportunity to speak, watch and just enjoy life for the local residents and Ledurga’s visitors! Now it’s finished!

 

 
Cultural and natural monuments

Ledurga Lutheran Church (1772)

Kipukalnu churchyard

Vasilkalns

Avotbirzs

Ledurga boulder (19 m3)

Ledurga dendrology park (1973)

 

 

Ledurga dendropark is the most important tourism object in Ledurga.

 

Ledurga dendropark was established in 1973. Its creator and soul is gardener A. Janitens. For his immense contribution the creator of the park, in 2003, received high award – the Order of Three Stars.

In terms of plant diversity the dendropark is one of the richest in Latvia. In about 10 ha are planted over 1,000 different species and varieties of decorative trees and shrubs. The plants from tropical and subtropical areas also fit well in. Gorgeous blow magnolia, false acacia, weigelas, mock-orange, the eyes are delighted by rhododendrons, walnut, various species of maple, fir, juniper, arbor vitae and cherry plantations...

Mudurgas boulder is located in park’s territory. It is 2.05 m high, 4.3 m long, its perimeter – 13 m, volume – 14 m3.

 

 

Ideas for routes

1st route

One of the routes, what includes Ledurga dendropark, is “One-day route in Vidzeme”.

 

read more...

 
News

Call us and we will tell you more!

Lēdurga